Saturday, January 9, 2016

Sewing decisions

Well that John Deere baby quilt is finished and with my cousin waiting to be wrapped around her soon to be born baby boy. But as I started cutting up fabric the solid yellow and solid green just wasn't setting right with me. Sooooo......
I took a piece of the John Deere fabric up to the local quilting store and they happily helped me match it with matching light blue fabric.... From there it was on like donkey kong lol
I quickly finished cutting the fabric then started sewing it together..... Well I then ran into a huge problem....
The thread kept breaking and it kept snagging up while going under the foot of the sewing machine. So my dad put on a different needle.... It worked fine for a day then started doing the same thing. I got it all sewed then went to sew the binding on and the needle wouldn't go through the binding. So I put the quilt aside to stop and think why this sewing machine was giving me so many issues.........
I thought on it for a day then after work tried again with no success, by this time I was frustrated and pissed. Asked my dad if there is a special quilting needle for sewing machines so he googled it and yea sure enough there was..... So off I went to the local Joann fabrics. The employee that helped me coincidently
Is a long time quilter. She hooked me up with the correct quilting needle for the sewing machine and then told me that the thread is breaking cause it's the wrong thread. She hooked me up with the correct thread and sent me on my way..... Got home changed the needle and thread in the sewing machine and woohoo I was off on a sewing binge like there was no tomorrow. Finished the quilt, washed and pressed it and had ready for my cousin. It turned out beautifully and I once again was impressed and pleased with myself for it only being my 2nd quilt ever. Here's a picture which the picture does t do it any justice....
I ended up with a lot of left over fabric from both the John Deere and blue fabric that I decided my 1st sewing project will be John Deere building blocks for a baby :) :) :) :)















No comments: